Monday, January 15, 2007

The Knit Rangers

Living in a motel is great, the wet towels disappear, clean ones appear...cooking is limited to ham and cheese croissants and salads, all cooked meals are prepared by someone else...laundry too disappears and returns freshly pressed.

My new (to me) machine is set up in the lounge of our suite (Flash and I share a 1 bedroom suite with courtyard, the girls share a room in the main building) it chatters through the day, but I turn it off late afternoon so as not to annoy the neighbours, I am learning a lot and can see how this contraption will be like having a workmate, although I will still have to make my own coffee! I have seed trays lined with jiffy pots on the patio, merrily getting greener as the oregano, coriander, basil and various other herbs and basic veges sprout and grow.I have cut off the bottoms of water bottles and planted cuttings from my Mum's collection of herbs, the warm, humid weather will ensure they take. I am not at home, but am preparing for it, this quiet time will not slip through my fingers.

My whinge yesterday arose from a common complaint - the indifference of LYS owners. I had organised for some very nicely priced Noro Cash Iroha from Little Knits to be sent to my Mum, in preparation for my arrival, I had my photocopied-from-my -copy- of- the- book- pattern for the Hourglass sweater (including the corrections from the website) and just needed the needles - 4.5mm in 80 and 30 cm lengths, I also needed a ball winder, as in my dumbass-ness I had forgotten to pack one.

I arrived at the first LYS, quite big, a national chain, nice selection, but nothing out of the ordinary. I found the 80cm no problem, and asked for the 30cm - none in stock, but I can order them in, no ball winders - once again we can order them in. No problem, I got some long dpns instead of the 30cm circ, and said "don't worry, mine will be here in a couple of weeks" but just trying to chat, ask about local knitting groups - no real response, there was no one else in the store who was demanding attention, so I felt a bit flat, on the upside, they were unpacking the latest issue of Yarn magazine.

I then went to another, an Auckland chain, a few more interesting yarns in skeins, but still very old-fashioned (what do want Justine? Purl, Loop?) asked for the 30cm circ, "they don't make them" was the response, and I couldn't help myself - I advised the assistant that yes "they" do make them, that I have 4 in my collection on the way from Sydney, but that it would be really convenient to have some now - her response was that "of course they have them in Australia" but not in NZ - how ridiculous! it's a global community, and I want to buy locally.

I have heard good reports of a small shop which opens a few hours a week, in someone's backyard studio, and I may have to continue internet shopping, but as far as knitting groups go, I am not close to the 2 I have heard of...so have decided to start my own, in Titirangi - not quite sure of the venue as yet - but I have a couple of places in mind...anyone who lives in the Waitakere Ranges or central or West Auckland (or anywhere else!) is welcome to contact me at my gmail address (top of the sidebar) once I have a place organised I'll contact everyone and the Knit Rangers will be in action!

I am envisaging a lively group of opinionated knitters, young, old, experienced and novice, all enthusiastic, all up for a challenge, willing to teach and be taught, the chatty and the quiet, but all with something to contribute - meeting on a weekday evening. Let me know your suggestions, what do you want in a group? (merit badges have already been suggested!)